Features: Addison Park, 3mm, LT 1950s
Published 24 September 2019, 14:31
Addison Park is an imaginary location situated in West London very close to Kensington.
The single line from Ealing to Addison Park was built in 1872. The station and goods yard were initially on the other side of the high street.
In 1892 the line was taken over by the Metropolitan Railway and in 1933 eventually incorporated into the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB). It was included in the 1936 modernisation plans becoming the termini of both the new electric District Line from Hounslow and the Piccadilly Line from South Harrow. The station was incorporated into a larger collaborative project between LPTB. The site developers and designers worked to the patterns of Charles Holden and based the station on a similar project at Park Royal. The original line was electrified and incorporated into the new terminus.
The model depicts London Transport in the 1950s when trolleybuses were still operating along the high street. However, in the bus garage at the opposite end of the layout, ‘London’s Bus of the Future’ (RM1) has just arrived and is being checked over by drivers. The trains are a variety of surface and tube stock from this period. The model is built to 3mm scale, 14.2mm gauge, and although most of it has been scratchbuilt, many products from the 3mm Society’s vast range have been used, including all the track.
Addison Park featured in HM144.